Tuesday, November 23, 2010

C-C-C-Cold


Well I know it really isn't that cold, but t
he Vancouver area just broke a 25 year record for cold temperatures. Today's high will be -7. Sure, that isn't cold for my Ontario family, but when we haven't been exposed to this cold in sometime, it sure feels like -50!

Of all the years of my dear mother in law trying to se
nd out winter gear for the kids, I finally feel like I should have accepted in the past. Every time she told me she had something, I had to remind her that we didn't really get winter, and that the gear would be used more there than here. Not this year. Winter is a coming!

I do find some joy in watching my poor roommate suffer. Sarah hasn't been exposed to these types of temperatures in about 6 years. Never mind the lowest temperature she has had to deal with in the last few years, she would've still been able to wear flip flops. She has continuously told me that she refuses to pack away her flip flops...
I think she has quickly changed her mind.

Its cold not matter how you look at it... anything below zero for me is cold... period. The day that we did have snow just seemed to make it more bearable. I guess when you see cold you just don't feel the cold. You dress more accordingly, and prepare yourself. The temperature is supposed to rise again, but it will still be chilly. They say that we are in for a wicked winter (wicked for this part of the country - you Eastern family I'm sure are laughing at me). And now since I imagine the ground is close to being frozen, the next snow fall / mixed precipitation will have a nasty result.
After watching the weather channel last night with Sarah, the only comfort we found was in the temperatures in Alberta were ridiculously cold. So we didn't feel so bad about how we had it here.

From a frozen coast,
with rosy cheeks, and pink noses
k


No comments: